Friday, November 7, 2008

Disgustingly cute!

SO, today I have a parent teacher confrence with Bubbas teacher. Bubba goes to special needs preschool and last year it was run by the county this year by the city. That would be ok if they kept any of the people from last year that worked with the kids but they changed everyone from the therapists to the bus drivers and he has even had 3 of those so far and getting a new one Monday.

When we went in for open house and met his teacher my fears were realized. She is straight out of college, which is not a terrible thing, but just some things she has said and done in the short span of the year worry me. To top it all off she is young and disgustingly cute.

I asked her if the OT (occupational therapist) and ST (speech therapist) would be there as they would attend last year, and she said no that it was hard to have a time when they would all be able to meet together. So I told her that Bubba was going for an OT assessment so that we could get him some extra OT and she says "Have you tried having him squeeze one of the squishy balls while he watches t.v."? Ok, this came after I explained that he was having behavior problems and had just started scratching and biting us again.

When I asked her what they did in OT at school she says well I know they are working on cutting and handwriting. So I asked if they did sensory things like tactile play or swinging and explained how much calmer he was after swinging and she says "too bad we don't have access to a swing."

So, I am going to this meeting at 8 and really hoping to not become "that parent" today. You know the ones, where teachers shutter at the thought of a conference or IEP meeting. But, if I have to be that parent to get what my Bubba needs then so be it. Look out school Bubbas mommy is on her way.

No comments: